Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summer fever




Usually Summer is the most pleasant time but this year I had quite difficult time with lots of pressures around. Still weather was and is wonderful, hoping it lasts a bit longer. While I was painting this 'heart of angel in vulture' I felt as if I need the emotion of this helpless personage to paint him. Imagine each time I paint I need to get through all emotions with them. I will be scared to paint this fall series again. well.... In any case fear is always there somewhere and I know that I won't avoid it when I need to face it. What the worst thing will come to me? death? I will embrace it but my fear is coming from somewhere else. It's like a little girl who seeks mother's embrace when she is actually a grownup and doesn't need it. Why it's so hard to feel that?

Last week I was in Paris for some paper work done and I had a day excursion. Grand Palais was closed and Pompidou was greeting me. There I found work of Roy Lichtenstein. I've never been really interested in Pop Art before. But this time I was thinking my drawings which made to sell, could be a kind of pop art. There are many interesting line work and the way he drew with lots of small dots and lines made me relaxed with what I was doing in my drawings. I have to say that I might felt a guilty feeling with my drawing work somehow. Pop art confirmed me that my fleeting  ideas on my head don't have to be disappeared as non senses... It gives me the exciting possibility. But when I found Pierre Alechinsky's work from book store I almost forgot about Roy Lichtenstein. There is total freedom in his expression and he was using lots of ink brush which allows him draw bold and wild. Since Picasso's opening, we have all the possibilities to work in every styles but skill, the direction of idea and depth have to walk together with such devotion. I wonder if I can make it or if I want to make it... Oil painting needs lots of patience, another word is 'killing myself practice'. And if I don't finish as I wish, I keep try until canvas can't take colors any more. Even I finish as I wish, the result always comes after few days when colors all settle up between linen fabrics and mediums. That is magic. My oils came back with basic painting medium again and I am focus on more colors as presenting mystery of air and time. The colors between clear and grey, layers after layers. This painting is almost finished... The angel's presence and their unconditional love are the points of my fall series and if I feel angels closer enough these paintings will have more healing power...

For drawings I want to try pop art style for awhile (it would probably be the same style but the difference now is that I realized what pop art is about?) This is my first pop art with Martin Luther King Jr. and Matisse 'dance2' in back ground. Perfecto.



No comments: